Week 1-Introduction

    Hello!

    My name is Dagny, although I prefer to go by June. I'm 18, and currently a sophomore at UAF, studying Psychology and Sociology. I grew up in Hope, Alaska, but now live in Anchorage (and hopefully on campus once in-person classes resume.) In my free time, I really like watching youtube, making tik toks, painting, or taking long aimless drives when I feel like avoiding my homework. Currently, I'm taking advantage of online classes and working at State Farm as a secretary. 

    My overall goal is to become a clinical psychologist working with individuals with psychosis, or with children and teenagers. I've struggled a lot with my mental health as a teenager and a young adult, so I would love to support people who are also going through that experience.

    My relationship with art is very hit or miss. I used to draw a lot as a child, which I lost as I grew older and lost a lot of focus. Recently, I have been trying with new mediums, (as my previous endeavors were traditional pencil and paper,) such as painting denim, painting, or greyscale coloring. I do not own a lot of art.

"Lucien Greaves stands next to a 9-foot statue of the goat-headed idol Baphomet at the international headquarters of the Satanic Temple in Salem, Massachusetts on Oct. 24, 2016.Elise Amendola / AP file"


    This is one of my favorite pieces of art! You can find out more about it here. Essentially, the Satanic Temple constructed this statue on Arkansas capitol grounds, in protest of a 10 Commandments statue. Their argument was that if one religion was allowed to demonstrate their beliefs, that the state could not show favoritism, and therefore must allow them to construct a statue of Baphomet. Without going too much into it, the Satanic Temple has a massive focus on political activism, and this is my favorite example of this. It is 9 feet tall, constructed entirely of bronze, and caused many protests across the nation. (Lane)

    That is all I have to say for today! I hope ya'll enjoyed reading. Please feel free to comment with any questions. 

-June

                                                                References

Ducharme, Jamie. “Satanic Temple Protests Arkansas Ten Commandments Statue.” Time, Time, 18 Aug. 2018, time.com/5370989/satanic-temple-arkansas/.

Lane, Penny, director. Hail Satan? Mangolia Pictures, 2019.

Siemaszko, Corky. “Satanic Temple Challenges Missouri's Abortion Law on Religious Grounds.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 24 Jan. 2018, www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/satanic-temple-challenges-missouri-s-abortion-law-religious-grounds-n839891.




Comments

  1. Testing testing one two THREEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is frequently controversial. We hit that right away in our course with the Reformation. The Catholic Church (the only Christian church at the time) was spending lavish amounts on art. Depictions of Jesus, Mary, Saints and even God were featured. This seemed to fly in the face of the commandment - "Thou shalt not create graven images". Good for you for tackling controversy right away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post Impressionism VS Art Nouveau

Rennisance-Portinari Altarpiece

The Harlem Renaissance's Influence on Art